2 Timothy 2:1-2

Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus - and the things you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses - these entrust to faithful men - who will be able to teach others also.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Initial Post - For the next generation


Today is the 9th anniversary of the death of my father-in-law, Harry Johnson. In his families eyes he was a giant in the faith, somewhat like my buddy Smith Wigglesworth, pictured to the right. Smith was a no nonsense, straight forward, gifted in the Holy Spirt man who lived from the 1800's to mid 1940's. The presence of the Spirit was at times so powerfull in his ministy that it was said that at the moment his train would pull into a town's station that people near the station would start to weep under conviction from God in realizing their sinfullness, and thus were easily led to faith in Christ Jesus for their salvation. Harry as well was strong in faith and used by the Holy Spirit with gifts of tounges, prophecy, discernment, wisdom, healing and deliverence. He consoled many and prayed with many for salvation and to be filled with the Holy Spirit. Harry was also a gifted teacher of Holy Scripture. He had one of those automatic bibles that would instantly open to whatever verse was needed at the time.

We had many years of Friday or Saturday night prayer meetings/bible studies with Harry, Helen, Virginia, brother and sister-in-laws and others and were able to search out scripture upon scripture to understand what we believed was truth as God had reveiled it. We also had lots of times of praying for our needs or interceeding for others, and times of listening to the leading of the Holy Spirit during times of worship or prayer. In these times, although the Spirit would touch and work through each of us, we still saw Harry as a leader who we could count on to have that little extra faith, that more sensitive ear to the Lord's leading.

Nine years ago Harry went out to help an old lady by cutting up a tree that had fallen during a November storm. He had a heart attack and was brought to Borgess and almost died enroute. Although he could not communicate he was kept alive by a machine for the next 7 days. Jackie and I brought in some worship tapes to be played in his critical care room and the whole family was constantly at the hospital in prayer and in searching the scripture for words of comfort, hope and healing. Initally I did not feel that Harry would recover but some had found verses that seemed to them to indicate that he would come out of it. As time went on things shifted, they became discourged at the prospect of recovery and I began to think that things would go right to the wire and then God would step in and Harry would recover.

I remember coming home on the night of November 17th after being at the hospital, walking in the door, and Becky asking about Grandpa. "Things don't look very good but I still feel that he might recover." I told her. Just then the phone rang and Jackie told me that her Dad had passed away. The 7 days had been an intense time of prayer for the family and I think the time was a blessing from God because many in the family began to experience needing to seek out and trust in God for themselves instead of having Harry to rely on. The Holy Spirit moved in their lives in a more powerful way, led out of spiritual shyness because of their love for Harry.

I am concerned for the next generation and the one after that if the Lord delays. That is why I want to use this forum to teach what little I know about the will of God. Of course it would be better to be able to lay hands on someone in person to impart a blessing, a healing, a word of encourgement, or to send forth, but this will be used by God. The foundation of faith we have in our family can be an advantage IF WE BUILD UPON IT, or it can be a hinderance if we use it as a substitute for daily seeking out the awesome plan that God has for each of us.

3 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Good post Dad. I too, remember the Monday night when Grandpa passed away. I remember being so confused when Grandpa passed away, and betrayed by God that He had let it happen (although I never would have voiced that, believing that to have those emotions would be blasphemous). It wasn't until weeks later that I realized what an amazing impact my Grandfather's death had on my life. For the first time in my life I realized the POWER of prayer, and the reality of the LORD. I had always known that God was real, and believe in him, but for the first time I KNEW that I KNEW that I KNEW that God was listening and really did answer when we prayed. It seems to have been one of those foundational stones/puzzle pieces that the LORD has used to build a deepening to my relationship with Him, much like your post is the same...a foundational piece for a forum to deepen spiritual/scriptural truths. I'm excited to see the revelations that run through your "pea brain" Dad.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Ben and Holli said...

Uncle Bob--You are so cool. I appreciate your honest thoughts about our family spirituality. I too feel that instead of picking up the mantle, our generation has tried to live in the past. It is time that we all start becoming the spiritual leaders that grandpa was. Thank you. Holli & Ben

2:03 PM  
Blogger carriekuipers said...

Thanks for the blog, Dad. I'm looking forward to future entries.

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home