2 Timothy 2:1-2

Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus - and the things you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses - these entrust to faithful men - who will be able to teach others also.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

With All Your Heart


Here are some comments on the first three sayings at the beginning of Proverbs, chapter 3. Each begins with a word of wisdom from God, and is followed by the result of following that word.


-
"Let your heart keep my commandments. * For length of days and years of life, and peace they will add to you." For me, this is the corre, the center of what the Lord desires of us in our relationship with Him. The tendency of man is, and always has been, to want to live by rules apart from, and instead of, relationship. We want someone else to determine for us what is the will of God for our lives. And we do this because we think we can have one part of our life be religious while still retaining control (lordship) of the rest. However, God wants us to draw close to Him and to be led in all things by the Holy Spirit. It is scary to enter into a close relationship with God because He really wants to be the Lord of every part of our lives. He loves us, and wants us to experience that love. And when that happens, when we are obedient to His leading because it comes from the desire of our heart, it is easy to give up those things and areas of our life which are not really what God desires for us.
-
"Do not let kindness and truth leave you. Bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. * So you will find favor and good repute in the sight of God and man." Kindness and truth, how interesting that these two are mentioned together. Kindness needs to be an attitude that will express itself no matter what our situation or circumstance is, no matter how people act toward us. God acts in kindness toward us dispite our rebellion, and we should reflect that same attitude to others. God also does not try to deceive us. Instead, deception comes from the father of lies. We should be open and straightfoward with all whom we come in contact with, but mixing that truth with a sensitivity toward the feelings of others. Again, acting in kindness and truth requires that it be both the desire of our heart, and of our mind. And if so, then it will be easy to act as God desires.
-
"Trust in the Lord with all of your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him. * And He will make your paths straight." Our daughter Becky recently got married and several days before the wedding Ryan sent her two dozen tulips, which Jackie and I have been enjoying while they have been on their honeymoon. When I look at those flowers up close I am so in awe of their beauty and design, and I marvel at the vast wisdom and goodness of my creator. Who could think that beauty could come from chance? And even if we see beauty in what appears to be the chaos of nature, that too was designed by God. I know this in the depths of my heart. I feel it. And I express that awe to God everyday. Trust, like obedience from the heart, has to do with our relationship with God. I trust Him because I know in my knower that He loves me. I believe that every hair on my head is counted, that all things work together for good for those that love Him and are called according to His purpose. And when He reveals His will to me, and asks me to conform to it, I know that His plan will be better for me than my plan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home