2 Timothy 2:1-2

Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus - and the things you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses - these entrust to faithful men - who will be able to teach others also.

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Dancing With The Stars



The other day my four year old granddaughter Ellie asked her mother Ceci, "Mom, how old is God?". Now Ellie is one smart cookie and I don’t remember exactly what Ceci told her, but Ceci knew that Ellie was not yet ready to understand concepts like Preexistence, Omnipresence, or being both in time yet not in time. I would have quickly answered Ellie "Old enough to know better." and left it at that, but then I think I sometimes get in a little bit of trouble with God for some things I say about Him.

When I was young and smart I often tried to figure out God and never got anywhere but wrong. And after I began to have a personal relationship with the Awesome Lord who designed a universe where the smallest part is a billion times more complex than I can start to comprehend, I realized that I can only know Him as much as He chooses to reveal Himself.
In the 10th chapter of Luke Jesus imparts the Holy Spirt on seventy of his disciples and sends them out into the local communities to heal the sick, to cast out demons, and to proclaim the good news that the kingdom of God has come to the earth. The seventy return rejoicing and say; "Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name." Jesus rejoiced greatly in the Holy Spirit saying; "I praise Thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You hide these things from the wise and intelligent, and revealed them to babes."

And in the 3rd chapter of Romans Paul says; "I am not ashamed of the gospel (the same good news proclaimed in Luke), for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes . . . For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith . . . For since the creation of the world God’s invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made."

So ultimately our understanding of the Awesome Lord comes through faith, by the power of the Holy Spirit, through the means which God has designed, so that we can know both Him and His plan for us. Through faith we come to know that He loves us, even more than Ceci could love Ellie, and we can trust that His design for our lives is better and more amazing than anything we could design for ourselves.

2 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Well said dad.

9:12 AM  
Blogger MelissaLB said...

I love this whole entry. I love how you capture spiritual things in writing. But mostly, I love of the clever title of it.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home